Wednesday 15 June 2016

My thoughts...

Upon reading another atheism =/= nihilism post on Google+ I responded with the following, I think, perhaps for the first time ever, I've managed to capture a big part of why I think the way I do about gods etc. I thought I'd post it here to share:



Here's a fun fact, none of what any human has ever done will have any lasting impact in the reality in which we find ourselves.

The greatest artwork will fade.
The most profound thoughts ever written will crumble and rot.
The most fantastic music will fall silent.
The most brilliant cities will fall to dust.

Our planet will eventually be destroyed by the very thing which allows our existence...

In the long run, literally everything of this planet will have been wiped from reality, to be consumed by the vast cosmos.

However, that does not mean we cannot enjoy being here, it does not preclude that we can love one another in our brief lives.

That we can laugh, sing and dream, we are so very very fortunate that we have this chance, that we are here and that we can shape our lives is the greatest fortune.

As an individual, as a person I hope to have every conceivable enjoyment during my brief existence, and I hope that I can help others have that same enjoyment.

To be alive, to think, to feel - every moment of it so precious, is a wonder and just to be here excites me.

I certainly need no god at which to pour my limited time and emotion, I would, in every circumstance rather that my love and attention be given to those around me, that my time is spent enjoying my own life and helping others enjoy theirs.

If I were to waste my efforts and resource on a god I would be doing a disservice to myself and to others.